Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our decision

Thanks so much to all for the responses (via blog as well as msn) to my previous post on my dilemma. We have made up our minds.

Hubby took our maid’s x-ray and report to another doctor on Monday for a second opinion and she said that she didn’t see anything wrong with our maid’s x-ray. If we want to be on the safe side, perhaps to bring the maid in for another x-ray test in 6 months time. She also said things to look out for in our maid’s health, whether she is eating well or falling sick easily.

Thus, we both felt that we should maintain the maid but seek a request from the agent to extend the 100% replacement guarantee within a year instead incase the report comes out unfavourable by year end.

Hubby was at the agent before he went to seek for a second opinion from the doctor at Kelana Medical Centre and he reported what he saw while waiting to talk to that B (I’ve termed the lady this and no prize for you if you know which B-word I’m referring to! LOL). He said if I were there, I wouldn’t want to have a maid ever. There were so many people bringing in their maids to complaint and the agent reps there are just so cold and rude to the maids and yes, to the people at times too. He felt that these agent reps must be so used to the negative feedbacks that they have become just so cold!

He also told me that the B made a comment about how their clients think they know everything just because they helped them to get a maid. Oh DUH! Who else can we consult then if not the agent? I mean we pay them for a service and we expect such service - mind you, this agent is one of the expensive ones out there and I just feel that I’m being so cheated from the kind of service I’m getting from them! To make matters worst, I know at least 2 people who also got such lousy service from them already. And I’m aware whether I like it or not, I’m stuck with this agent until I’m done with this maid.

When we picked the maid up the first time, B was very rude to our maid, acting as if she’s the boss, telling her what to do and all in front of us. I was wondering at that time, whether it was all a show to impress us but really, I was so disgusted. I am a working person and if my boss acts that way to me, I will definitely ask my boss to go fly kite! We are individuals who deserve respect no matter where you come from. And if you want respect in return, you better start giving as well too. Anyway, I was just so glad that Rye Li didn’t come along with us that day or else she would think it’s alright to shout to the maid too.

I’m letting hubby do all the communication with this B now since I feel she responds better to men and I don’t want to be worked up over her rude behaviour. We wrote in already requesting for this extension and I’m waiting to see what kind of response I’m getting from them. If they want to be cocky with us, then perhaps we just have to get a replacement now.

Hubby and I felt that we should give our maid a chance to work since the doctor’s comment seems somewhat favourable. And like what some of you have also commented, who knows, if I do return the maid, the agent would probably recycle her as I feel the maid would still want to earn a living in her condition.

She doesn’t know yet of her condition and we feel that we should not let her know until it is serious. She has proven to us she is also somewhat worthy to keep although we are aware that we only had her for like 12 days so far. Her personality has started to show and it is through Rye Li – she only opens up to the girl. She plays and sings to Rye Li. She also talks to Rye Li although the girl don’t understand her most of the time. I’m giving her another month before she can speak the lingo with the maid. She has already picked up some words and so has the maid. The maid works hard in getting Rye Li’s attention. Depending on the girl’s mood, she will play along or she will treat the maid rudely at times which we will scold her for. We want to make it clear to Rye Li that she needs to respect the maid no matter what. I also feel that in time when Rye Li realizes how the maid will spoil her, she will go to her eventually but I will try my best to intervene when this happens. Already, the maid will pick up after the girl on her toys which hubby and I told the maid not to.

Three nights ago, the girl started acting up again and the maid was already asleep. Hubby and I let her be to cry on herself and after like 15 mins or so with her crying, the maid came out and wanted to carry Rye Li but the girl didn’t let her. Hubby was impressed with this as it shows that she cared. This is why I feel that in time, the girl will realize how the maid will give in to her needs and she will most likely team up with her.

Only thing that gets to me so far on the maid is she mostly answer yes to everything I ask her, even when I ask her what she wants to eat or whether she wants to cook. Because she doesn’t give me her opinions, I takeaway or cook whatever I want. At least she finishes everything we give her to eat and I like this. You may say she doesn’t understand me but I feel she does. On the first day, I asked if she can speak English and she said she doesn’t, only know the words yes, no, sir and madam. But in the days to come after that, I hear her speaking to Rye Li in some English words and also humming some nursery songs. I’m guessing she picked them up from the daycare or from the shows Rye Li watches or when Rye Li and I sing or from our conversations.

She’s also too efficient in some ways – she can’t sit still, always cleaning. The first few days, I made this comment to hubby and he asked me to ask her to do less but I said to wait first, let her get used to the routine. Then when I told my friends about this, they said not to as from their experiences, the maids were always hardworking the first few months and then they tend to slack eventually. She even irons Rye Li’s clothes and my bed sheets and pillow cases – something I have never done before! I don’t know if this is a show or this is exactly her style but as far as I’m concerned, as long as she don’t step on our heads, I’m fine.

We are still trying to get use to a maid in the house and we’re still learning. Now, I hope to get a favourable response from the agent.

With all the maid agents’ problem I’m hearing lately through friends as well as blogger moms, I’m thinking we should start some kind of an online community to have recycled maids (the good ones). Why I’m suggesting this is that I had two offers of recycled maids after I have already applied for one at my agent. One was a friend’s sister of my sister’s maid who wants to work here and another was my sister’s mother-in-law’s friend who doesn’t need her second maid anymore and was asking around. Too bad they couldn’t find a home for her so they had to send her back. It seemed that she was a good maid too. With the network we can build online, we can teach these agents a lesson of the kind of lousy service they’re giving us! And with this way, we can also save a couple of thousands as well. Only thing is we may need to take some days off to run around the immigration for application and all. Anyone wants to do this? I’ll be happy to help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has the B replied to you guys? Oh, you must always give them a deadline; otherwise she will drag on and on.

The network idea is great! Too bad I'm not in town. That also reminds me to find out info about bringing a maid over. I think it will be tough.

synnee said...

Vien - hubby called her to see if they received our fax and she said yes. only that she has yet to write her report to submit. we did indicate in the letter to say to response to us within a week. hopefully, they will or else they will hear more from us.

if i'm a SAHM, i wld start a website already for the recycled maid networking thing but already i don't have time to update my blogs so if i do start one, it may fail. i need the active online moms to do this when they can - i'm ok to be part of it but i cannot work alone.

moms tales said...

hmmm...I wonder if these peeps at the agencies are like that towards the 'ang mohs'??? Also, the first 6 months' salary that the employers pay in advance, do the maids even get the the money or is it being kept with the agency until dun know when? Imagine, the amount of excess $$$ these agencies are earning off from these maids.

I think your network idea is really a good one. To sieve out the bad and save some $$.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree that it's a great idea.

Tough one to get going and moderate - you know how these forums can be.

You could set up a Yahoogroups to see the response. I'm just wary about everyone agreeing on the term "good".

As you know, one man's meat may be another man's poison LOL