Thursday, July 24, 2008

Having a maid so far....

As much as I’ve said before that I do like my maid, she has her imperfections as well and at the same time, I’m trying my best to get use to a stranger staying in my house.

She’s been with us for nearly 3 weeks now and I do notice her flaws here and there. It doesn’t bother me big time as she does the basic stuff but I’m aware that I need to remind her now and then to do it this way or that way when I feel she’s not doing things right.

She washes up our used plates, cups, utensils etc and will put them back into the kitchen cupboard where they belong but there are some stuff that she will leave behind like the plastic containers and other type of bowls that were left there before she came along. I’m guessing that she doesn’t know where to put these plastic containers and so I told her that she can keep them in another place in the kitchen and that she can also arranged them nicely (as I’ve neglected this spot for a long time since it needs me to stand on a stool).

She sweeps and mops the floor everyday and yet I found some spots to be uncleaned and started doubting whether she does this everyday or not (she wakes up earlier than we do). I know for sure that there’s this corner she had missed, as the dirt was visible and I wanted her to mop my living room again. She told me that morning that she had already mopped the floor and then I asked her why that corner was still dirty and she apologized and said that she was scared to clean that corner as there were full of things (extension cords with some electrical items). I told her that she could always move them one side to clean the corner as well as to clean behind my TV stand. I didn’t make her do it there and then and told her that she can do it the next morning before we leave the house to the day care.

She also cleans my toilets twice over the weekend but I found some fungus stains still left behind on the floor and also noticed that she didn’t touch my sink at all. And so I had to teach her the basic again, so I showed her that the fungus stains can be removed and told her that she can clean my sink by removing my things on them and then put it back again. I hope she gets the message this time.

I know I may sound too picky and that I hardly clean my house before she came along but the times when I do, I made sure that these things are thoroughly cleaned as well. Before she came along, I had my sister’s maid to come over every two weeks to clean my house and I didn’t have to tell her what to do, she knew what to do. And I guess I too took this for granted and expected my maid to do the same as I got my sister’s maid to train her the day I got her into my place.

She knows how to use my washing machine and in the first week she was with us, she washes my stuff all the time, whether it was a full load or not. I guess she mistook the fact that we wash Rye Li’s stuff on half-load basis as we have done this all the time since the girl started going to the day care, and think it is the same for the rest of my washable items too. She even started washing blankets one at a time. Since then I told her not to wash until it is a full load unless it is Rye Li’s clothes during the week and now I will still remind her just so she gets the message.

Several nights ago, I got a shocked of my life when my maid started blowing her nose by using her t-shirt (at the collar part) like it’s a normal thing to do (maybe it is at her hometown). I told her that she can always use the tissue and not to do that anymore as it is not a right thing to do here. I also asked if she’s ill and she said no, only a cold. No fever or cough. I reminded her not to touch the kids or go near the kids at the day care. She probably got the cold from Rye Li as well as the other kids from the day care. I also told her that if she doesn’t feel well, she needs to tell me so that I can take her to the doctor’s and that I will let her rest instead of doing work. When I passed her a box of tissue to put in her room and also some to take to the day care the next day, she took one piece and started blowing her nose and kept it in her pocket. I immediately told her to please throw it away and that she can only use tissue once. And all this time, I didn’t yell at her or scold her but told her in a nice, firmed manner. But I had to repeat myself just to make sure she understood.

The next morning, I reminded her again and told her that I will get her some medication. That evening, I explained to her why was I so particular about hygiene and also said that I realized she comes from a kampong (malay: village) area and that she may be used to the habits there but it is very different here in KL. I further explained to her but I’m not sure whether she understood me or not. But whatever it is, I also realized that I need to remind her constantly whether I like it or not so she will remember these things.

The girl has grown attached to the maid although she still wants me most of the times. I have to admit there were times whereby she prefers the maid, like bringing her down from the car, which kind of gets to me – probably cause I’m so used to always being there for the girl. But I didn’t show any of this to the maid and let them be, as I also need to learn to let go when it comes to handling Rye Li 100%. Of course, the maid hasn’t been taking care of Rye Li and she is not even allowed to at the day care – I was told by Aunty Ng that the first few days there, she was always tending to Rye Li which Aunty Ng told her not to. But even so, I can see the maid tries her best to please Rye Li in any way she can since day one. We do let her but when we feel she’s being too much like pampering Rye Li (wearing her shoes, picking up after her or teaching her the wrong things), we will butt in.

In the second week the maid was here, the girl wanted to stay at home alone with the maid when hubby and I wanted to go out for dinner. We were caught off guard by this but let her stayed back with the maid. We went to our condo’s swimming pool’s café for dinner instead of driving out (we were supposed to drive out for dinner) to be on the safe side as I still haven’t exactly gained full trust on my maid yet and of course, I didn’t leave the house keys behind. We were out for less than an hour and I was curious whether the girl would cry for us but when we got back, the girl was watching her TV and the maid was playing with her Legos. Since then, we have yet to leave the girl alone with the maid although I know Rye Li would be alright with her. A number of my friends say that this is a good sign so hubby and I can have “our time” now but wait-la, when I know I can trust the maid fully. It is still too soon!

An update on what the agent has got to say to our earlier request; they came back saying that they will agree on certain basis, one of which is that if we replace the maid on a medical unfit term, it has got to do with lungs and nothing else. So to cut things short, we got our request. At least I don’t have to go through another headache with dealing with a new maid or that I don’t have to deal with the agent till the time comes. Let’s pray that my maid’s x-ray will come out fine in December. As for now, I’m still adjusting to having a stranger in my house. I really salute to those who welcome their maids openly and letting them take care of their children immediately alone without any other family on hand. I don’t think I can as yet or ever will.

Ok, this is long enough about my maid, I need to update on my pregnancy soon as I’ve been neglecting this part. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess one has to be very patient to teach an adult the basic things of our lives. Both you and Mumsgather are great examples. :)

Hey, did you notice your new posts do not show up in your main page? I think something is wrong with your template.

ryeli said...

vien - don't think i'm a great example at all since it's my 1st time having a maid. i'm only taking it as i go along but i have 2 remind myself that she's a human being too and deserve the kind of respect all of us want. of course, i also have 2 make sure that she doesnt go overboard with us.

i tried checking the blog from different laptops, no problems wor?! weird...maybe will ask around on this. thanks for letting me know though.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing a good job with the maid :) It isn't easy teaching her basic stuff but I think she appreciates how nice you're being about it.

Wow...Rye Li warms up to her very quickly eh? I'm very paranoid about Lucas warming up to the helpers I have in the house.

As he's such a friendly little chap, I've started teaching him that he can only follow Mummy or Papa to go "kai kai" etc. Not taking any chances...

Your posts show up OK when I swing by! FYI, I'm using Internet Explorer. Wonder if Vien's using Firefox or something else?

Mumsgather said...

I'm ultra paranoid about leaving the kids alone with the maid so even when I'm seeing the doctor for example, we'll all go into the doctor's room and ask her to wait outside. Haha. Siao hor. I've yet to leave her alone at home and won't leave her alone at home with the kids either, not even for 5 minutes, even though the kids have taken to her like house on fire as most kids warm up to people really easily. I also warn them not to go anywhere out of the house alone with the maid unless mommy says its ok.