Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dilemma

Our maid has been with us since last Saturday and she has so far been quite all right. In fact, we like her, even the girl. For someone with no previous experience, she is a fast learner and it could be also that hubby and I are not fussy with how our house is cleaned (we both have never ever had a maid in our lives before). As long as the basic stuff is done, we’re happy.

I love the fact that our floors are cleaned everyday and our feet can really tell the difference. Even hubby commented on this…goes to show how often I cleaned my floor before this! ;)

When we picked her up last Saturday, we took her for a blood and urine test at the lab and then we took her for an x-ray test at a clinic. I managed to find a lab that can give the results within 3 hours but the x-ray will take at least 3 working days. Thankfully, the blood and urine test came back normal.

So the maid has been following the girl to the day care this week.

Today, I went to pick up her x-ray ( we didn’t have time during the week) only to find out she has some kind of defect in her lungs. Nothing that is contagious (Thank God!) but something that may or may not affect her health in the long run. The doctor advise that since we can still replace her with the agent, we might as well do so as if her health is affected after 6 months, the agent will not be responsible in replacing the maid then.

I asked the doctor why would FOMEMA release her if she has this and she said that if she only saw the x-ray without the report, she would also think that there’s nothing wrong with her lungs. She said that my maid can become breathless at times in this condition and whatever she has may affect her overall health.

I also asked the doctor if this result wasn’t my maid’s and it was mine, what would she advise me. She said that she would ask me to rest and just see what other symptoms I will have along the way before doing any further test.

I spoke to the lady at the agent and I seriously dislike her. When we picked the maid up last week, she was plain rude as she answered a call while briefing us the paperwork. I’m okay with this but the fact that she was even rude to the other lady on the call (the lady wants to return her new maid as the medical check up she had for her the maid didn’t come back good) made it worst. She left the phone on it’s own and talked back to us and then got back to the woman rudely. When we left, I told hubby that I hope we don’t have to deal with her anymore but I had to today.

I told her what happened and this is what she has to say “If you get another one, it doesn’t guarantee you that her health is okay after 6 months also as anything can happened”. So I said that is right but the fact that I know my maid’s health now upfront, I can do something about it. So she went on that it is my decision to make and that if I want a replacement, I don’t have to go through this entire story. What a cocky woman this one!

So I asked her has she gone through this situation before and she said not to this extreme and said I can write in with my maid’s medical report and ask for some kind of guarantee after 6 months but said maybe they will allow for a year but definitely not 2 years. She also said that I can do a replacement but will have to wait the usual 2-3 months for one and I will have to pay additional RM200 for the FOMEMA medical and the salary of the current maid to whatever period that she has been with us. I didn’t want to talk to her anymore and said I will discuss with hubby and get back to her.

Hubby said we should get a second opinion on our maid’s x-ray and also find out to what extent the personal insurance we got for the maid through the agent will cover her before we decide to send her back. I am thinking if we have to send the maid back, whether we can get a refund from the agent and if yes, I am willing to wait another 3 months for a new maid with another agent. Yes, it will be closer to my due date then but I am willing to wait if this rude woman at the agent is pissing me off big time.

I’m sad with the fact that I may have to terminate this maid. But I have to be selfish here. I also told hubby that if really she has this health problem that may shorten her life, I feel she should go home and spend some time with her family instead of working for money. I haven’t told her about the results yet (in case she will run away) but I will let her know when I have to return her to the agent and I just hope the agent will not recycle her.

It is just our luck that we got this horrible lady at the agent as well as an “unhealthy maid” too. I will update again on our decision later, we need to seek another doctor’s advice first.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My blood was boiling mad when I read your post. On one hand, we wish we could x&*S@ the bitch agent but on another hand, we have to keep cool 'cos we still need her to process the paperwork for the replacement maid. Haiz..dilemma la! Maybe I should ask my mom about it. She has dealt with many agents and maids before. Will let you know..or mebbe u can call my mom. Anyway, will keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Hi synee,

It's quite 'refreshing' to see how you and your husband deliberate on your maid's health issues (putting yourself in her shoes, getting 2nd opinion etc). It's clear to me that you're both very caring people who consider maids as much more than just paid help.

For that I pray you will get the good and reliable help that you so deserve.

My 2 cents worth takes consideration of the following:

1) The agent saying: “If you get another one, it doesn’t guarantee you that her health is okay after 6 months also as anything can happened”. Now this, crude as it sounds, is very telling. It very likely reflects reality, esp. with this agent. Your comment on 'recycling' is indeed intuitive. However, in all practicality, it's almost certain the maid simply cannot afford NOT to work (how many people can?) and in all likelihood, she will be recycled, possibly ending up with an employer with less compassion than you.

2) The doc's assessment that a) it's nothing contagious. b)no evidence yet of a determinate and significant problem. ("something that may or may not affect her health in the long run"). This point is reinforced by the advice (if the results were yours) to just "rest and just see what other symptoms" come up before doing further investigation.

All other things considered (maid's satisfactory performance, cost considerations, agent's practice and ethics etc), you might want to weigh the CHANCES of getting an equally staisfactory maid (or better) with no potential health risks, but have other probs (eg honesty, performance, decency, get on with family) against points 1&2 above.

You do have a real dilemma so I really hope my comments are of help rather than confusion!

Given your compassion combined with practical wisdom, I'm sure you'll make the best choice for your family.


- anony-mouse -

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Came over from Mumsgather's!

That is quite a dilemma you're having. And you're expecting too! Congrats!!!

Unfortunately, I have no experience with hired help. Hope you'll find a second more honest opinion!

Take care

moms tales said...

That's terrible, Syn!!! I am deeply sorry you had to go through this with the maid and agent. Esp considering your condition now. I am equally stumped. But I think your hubby may be on the right track to get the second doctor's opinion. I just hope that everything will turn out fine. Will pray for you!

Anonymous said...

I am also here via MG's blog. Sorry to hear abt your unpleasant maid experience. I was thinking of getting a maid 2 mths ago when my #2 came, but after reading/ hearing so many scary stories, decided not to. But there are good maids & agents out there. Hope things work out for you in the end.

Anonymous said...

You're really very patient with the agent! If I were you, I don't know what I'd do coz I'd be hopping mad too...ya, what a terrible woman.

It's good to hear that both of you like her, esp with regards to the clean floors :) (Hubby would say the same thing too)

I think the 1st doctor's frank opinion is for your benefit. He's thinking about your situation when the baby is here and you'll need the maid's support.

While I sympathize with the maid, I worry about you, dear. What if the maid's condition gets worse around the time when baby is less than 6 months?

Sorry to cast doubt on your decision. As a consolation, I know a few folks who have stuck by their maids as if she's one of the family too! God bless people like you and them :)