Saturday, November 8, 2008

Breastfeeding

This post is dedicated to both of my daughters. As much as I love you both so much, I need you two to know how much your mummy went through just to breastfeed the both of you! And it’s a good thing too that you two are females as you both will go through it one day too. :D

I have to admit that both my daughters are hopeless when it comes to breastfeeding them. Let’s start with Rye Li first.

Rye Li was immediately brought to me after she was cleaned up when I just delivered her. I was surprised as to how she knows how to latch on immediately and she managed to suckle one side for about 10 minutes before she was brought away.

I only got to attempt at breastfeeding her like 6 hours later after that and it was a struggle already as she prefers sleeping most of the time. The nurse and I had to find ways to wake her up, at times it worked but most times it didn’t. The two nights at the hospital saw me waking her up for feeds most of the time. And it was the same at home too.

Although Rye Li latches on well, my nipples were still sore and soon the engorgement came in and I suffered as this girl only drinks like 2-5 minutes before dozing off. No matter how much effort was made to wake her for more milk, this girl never awoke from slumber land. And this led to the beginning of my pumping journey. After every time she drinks off me, I need to continue with pumping or else I would suffer from the engorgement.

In the beginning, and for several months after that, every time she latched on, I would squeal in silence as it hurt a lot.

For the record, I never knew what it was like to have my breast emptied by a baby as Rye Li never drank more than 10 minutes of me throughout her 1 year breastfeeding journey. At least I’m glad she never treated me like a pacifier (probably due to the fact that she sucks her thumb from 4-5 months old till today).

Oh yes, I was telling everybody then how she treated me like a ‘straw’. Once she latched on, she would drink a little, then let go, and then drink again, and then let go as if she knew the ‘straw’ was there all the time at her convenience. This was why I never breastfed her in public! Also, you can imagine how messy it was when my breasts are full and she let’s go during her feeds. There were times I really wanted to smack her hard for her bad sucking habits (which I’m convinced it also led to her bad eating habits till today!) but since she was a little innocent baby then, I just couldn’t find myself to and suffered in silence!

Because Rye Li doesn’t finish her milk of me, we always brought out the expressed breast milk (EBM) out with us when we go out. And we have to work around my pumping schedule so it took forever for us to get ready to go out as not only we need to feed her before we leave, we have to get her stuff ready and I also have to pump. So our outings were not for very long too, the most 5 – 6 hours or so as I needed to come back home to pump again. Those days, I envied moms who conveniently pull up their bra just to feed their babies in public as they don’t need to bring out so many stuff with them or rush back to pump.

Rye Li also doesn’t like frozen EBM. I guess it was my fault that I didn’t train her early with it and mostly gave her fresh EBM. And I struggled keeping up with the supply as we can’t store fresh EBM for long compared to frozen ones. In the end, I threw away a lot of frozen EBM. I did use them to mix with fresh ones and also to make her cereals but there were a lot in the freezer and I couldn’t use all of them. From this experience, I vowed to train my next baby early on frozen EBM so that I won’t be so stressed out on keeping up with supply.

Now that Haye Li has come along, I was praying hard that her drinking habits are way better than her sister’s. This is somewhat true but still, I also find her hopeless like her sister!

At the delivery room, it took some time for Haye Li to latch on me. She was more keh poh chi (busybody) with her surroundings than to latch on. After coaxing her like several minutes or so, she finally latched on and I got her to suckle off both breasts too for like half hour before she was taken away from me.

When it was time to feed her again at the hospital, this girl didn’t really latch on properly and when I started to correct her, she got so furious and started screaming (she is way louder than her sister!). I guess it is my fault for not correcting her from the start so again, I suffered.

When we got home, my nipples were already sore and cracked and by the 3rd night home, both my nipples were bleeding. My first time as I didn’t get this from Rye Li. So I suffered that few days till it healed by itself and till today, my nipples are still sore. At least it is not cracked anymore.

Haye Li definitely drinks more than Rye Li and at least when she sleeps on them, she is still sucking. At the hospital, I was wondering whether she was actually drinking or treating my like a pacifier as I couldn’t hear the swallowing sounds from her. But now, I can so I know she is still drinking in her sleep until she will totally let it go herself. However, just like her sister, she also doesn’t finish off. Well, she could finish off one breast but when I put her on the other, she is already dead asleep.

So my pumping is more to empty the other breast and also so that I can start storing them up. I’m too lazy now to pump in the middle of the nights (second time breastfeeding doesn’t give you that painful engorgements) but I think I have to start soon as not only I need to keep up with supply, this girl is becoming like her sister in that she is drinking 5-10 minutes before dozing off and hence, she is waking up like every hour or every one and a half hour. After my confinement is over, I will start giving her EBM in the bottle through the nights so she will drink more and sleep longer. Only thing is that I will need to pump after giving her the EBM.

There have been several occasions where she has drank for half an hour and I was able to have her to drink off both breasts, something I didn’t achieve with Rye Li. But lately, she is drinking like 5 minutes and then let go and don’t want anymore. But when I put her down, she cries for milk. This girl is definitely more demanding than her sister.

This girl also has started treating me like a ‘straw’ and I’m wondering are all babies like this or just mine are like this? If mine are like this, I would think it’s from hubby’s genes as I knew I’m a very good eater when I was young while he was a fussy eater! :D

She doesn’t open her mouth big to latch on, just her pouty lips so she’s literally ‘sipping’ of my ‘straws’ and it also hurts each time she latches on and I will still squeal in silence. During Rye Li’s time, I usually went “ow, ow, ow” but now I don’t as Rye Li is mostly around me when I nurse Haye Li and I wouldn’t want her to think that Haye Li is hurting me.

Anyway, I’m praying that Haye Li gets better at drinking off me as I would hate to work around my pumping schedule over the weekends again.

Motherhood, you just have to love it don’t you?! But my stance is still clear, after going through what a woman should go through, I still want to be a boy in my next life! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing - I don't remember you telling me any of this last time! Or were we both SO busy we left out many details?

I know I really admired your perseverance with the pumping...I was soooooo lazy and only did it because I had to.

I am thankful Lucas was an easy baby to breastfeed. He wasn't that good in the 1st month either and yes, he treated me like a straw.

A bfg session lasted 1 hour and in the end, I hardly had time to rest, sleep or eat.

In the end, my CL said it's ridiculous and said that I should nudge him when he sleeps so he knows that it's MEAL time.

After a few days of doing that, I soon got him to drink from 1.5 breasts in 20 mins :-)

Hope that Haye Li will latch on correctly soon...I can imagine how painful it must be!

Anonymous said...

She sounds like Belle. Belle used to suckle and then fall asleep like a dead log. With Cassie..she was lagi susah. She would suckle..and then I would burp her..and she would puke. Imagine the times I have to bf her..change her clothes..then bf her again..and it was like a neverending cycle. I guess being a straw is much better than constant feeding and being puked on. :)