Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Blocked ducts + Fever = Mastitis = Pain!

Breastfeeding, can it get any better?!

Two days ago, I experienced some blocked ducts on my left and it was painful nursing Haye Li or while pumping but I continued anyway as I need to empty it in order to get better. Then at night, I started having fever. This is a first time for me. I've experienced blocked ducts with Rye Li before but never fever.

I didn't dare take Panadol then so I was having fever through the night while suffered in pain when nursing Haye Li. Morning came and my fever was 39.3 degrees and I felt I better do something about the fever. Thanks to my friend, who also experienced Mastitis before, told me that I could take panadol and I did.

I also called my doctor and I remembered that he was away for a seminar this week so I spoke to his senior nurse who advised me if the fever didn't go away after taking panadol in the morning, I should go in and see a doctor. By noon, my fever broke and so I didn't bother going into the hospital. But when the panadol wore off, it came back and so I took panadol again.

At the mean time, I still fed Haye Li with the affected boob (which was excrutiating painful!) and used hot towel on it while massaging it as well (thanks to my friend's advice). Evening came and my fever came back but nursing or pumping wasn't as painful as in the morning. But I had new lumps. In the middle of the night, I was still having low grade fever but I didn't take panadol and decide to only take it in the morning if there is still fever.

My fever is gone for the moment but the lumps are still there. It still hurts to nurse or pump and also while massaging but it wasn't as painful as the first time. I will still take panadol later as I'm having a big headache too, probably from all the sweat from the breakout of the fever. My appetite has worsen and I asked MIL to cook some soup today so I can replenish on the liquids lost. Also, the quantity of milk from the affected boob as totally worsen and takes like forever to have a let-down. I'm wondering when will it get back to normal as I need to resume my stock-keeping.

I'm hoping the fever doesn't return and that the lumps will be gone soon as I would hate to start taking antibiotics for it. Also, going to the doctors now when hubby is not around is really troublesome. But of course if it doesn't get better by tomorrow, I will have to go see a lactation doctor and would probably bring Haye Li and MIL with me.

This experience really questioned me whether I want to continue with breastfeeding or not as I've not experienced such pain before and fever too. But I need to persevere as I need to think of Haye Li's well-being more than anything - I will definitely remind her of this experience when she's old enough to understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a mother is really not so easy and esp being a mother and breastfeed ur baby and have to suffer the pain too!! I really salute you for being so patient.

Did you catch cold lately? wei.. remember you are still on confinement.. old ppl said it's very hard to recover being sick during this period. gotto really take care.