Monday, September 1, 2008

31 weeks, among other things

31 weeks and I feel I’m ready to give birth already. Of course it’s still too early but the way Baby H has been moving, I kind of half wish she will be out earlier than expected. Seriously, I cannot remember feeling this much of discomfort with Rye Li at such an early stage. I really loved Rye Li’s movements in my tummy as she was gentle, hardly any ‘shocks’, only towards the end. I’m just regretting on what I’ve said earlier on how much I miss the baby movements in my tummy when I found out I was pregnant months back!

The way Baby H moves, I’m very worried that she will be a big baby. I had my check-up on Saturday and my Obgyn said that it’s normal for our tummies to be extra sensitive to Baby’s movements second time onwards. Funny though, I would have thought it should be the other way round since our tummies were stretched the first time and hence, should be less sensitive. Go figure!

Anyway, yours truly has so far put on 12kgs….nice. Stay like this and I should not put on as much as I did before with Rye Li. But still, my bum looks really big and so do my arms. Of course, the tummy too coz I really feel Baby H is big! I still have another 9 weeks or so to go and the way I’ve been eating…tsk tsk tsk!

I’ve bought some baby stuff over the long weekend and I should start doing her laundry in the weeks to come. I only need to clear out Rye Li’s clothes to her new drawers we got her to make space for Baby H’s stuff. My maid is pretty free at times (my condo isn’t that big) and even asked me whether she can start washing Baby H’s stuff 2 weeks back but I said I need to get some baby’s detergent first.

Anyway, my maid should have more work to do soon since she will need to help out more at the day care (the maid there is leaving) in terms of housework and also I would want her to cook for us over weekends once whoever (either hubby/me/Aunty Ng/in-laws) teaches her. A lot of people have been telling me that I’m under utilizing my maid. I’m also slowly letting her handle Rye Li wherever she can like when the girl wants to pee (we still have to keep an eye on her when she goes to her potty although she managed to pee on her own without informing us many times but someone just got to make sure she washes her hand!) or play with her (this is because Rye Li asked for it at times and I let them be, if the maid has done her work) but overall, the girl still prefers me. I will next let her start to pack Rye Li’s stuff for the day care and also when we go out (like preparing her milk powder, bottle and hot water) – I didn’t teach her this initially as I don’t trust her from a hygienic point of view. She still needs to gain my trust in terms of this area (I caught her with several bad habits like picking her teeth with the same toothpick kept in her room and picking at her hair – squatting and face down with fingers picking at her as if she’s got hair lice which I know she doesn’t as all of us would have gotten it by now). This is also one of the reasons why I have not gotten her to cook for us yet. I have loads more to say about the maid but since my time is precious on blogging, I’d rather not waste my time on her – she is overall alright but at times can get on my nerves. J

Back to my pregnancy, my checkups are now every 2 weeks and I have yet to talk to my Obgyn about the delivery plans. I have loads of questions to ask especially about my apparent high blood pressure when I was delivering Rye Li. I only knew this 6 weeks after I’ve delivered Rye Li. Interestingly, during her pregnancy and after she came out, I don’t have any problems with my blood pressure. Even now, during this pregnancy, I also don’t have any problems which I’m jumping to conclusion that my blood pressure could have shot up then due to the pain I was going through or rather, the fear of the pain that I was going through then. This reminds me that I need to finish my birth story with Rye Li – it is kinda funny now thinking back although I know it won’t be funny going through the pain again this time!

Anyway, my Obgyn told me then that if I were to have a high BP second time round delivering means I would need to take caution should I go for my third child. I need to remind him this again in my next visit as I feel if it was really due to my fear of pain, I will tell him in advance this time that by hook or crook, I want the darn epidural! I didn’t get this the first time round as I dilated too fast! I know I can save heaps of money not using the epidural and the fact that if I could last the pain first time round means I can last the pain second time round too but heck, it’s my body and I do whatever pleases me. Too bad there are only 2 ways to get a baby out of you and both ways also scare the jeepers out of me. Sigh!

Funny eh, you would think an experienced mom would think lesser of delivering the baby second time round but not me man! I remember having so many weird dreams in my first trimester about giving birth and I always wake up thinking “That’s it, I know I want epidural upfront this time!” …I am paranoid about the pain. When I tell people about my fear, some asked me to opt of C-sect instead since it’s faster and less hassle. I’m scared of surgery la…and I don’t think I can be awake knowing I’m being cut up and I want to be awake when my baby comes out to this world. Only 2 things now will make me go for a C-sect and that is if she’s breached and the other is if she’s really huge like over 3.5kgs kind of huge! Let’s pray she’s not huge and not breached. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even with the epi, make sure they give you the right dose. When I was delivering Cassie..the darn doc gave me so little I was in pain while the epi was dripping from the IV. By the time he came to manually inject more..I was already in the verge of pushing the baby out. Luckily, the cost of epi was covered by the insurance.

Btw, fear is normal la..I wasn't prepared the 2nd time too..hehe..Just take it easy and yes, EPIDURAL right away. I was stoopid to have waited..hahaha..

Anonymous said...

Take it easy...rest when you can. Pack that hospital bag first!

Get the maid to shift the drawers, Rye Li's clothes etc. You can just supervise and hehe, just accept it if the result is only 50% of what you expect :-)

I have a maid come in 3x a week - the perfectionist that I am, I've had a few hair-tearing episodes at the work done!

Now...I just accept it with one eye close, where possible. And if I have any time/energy left, I'll straighten things out.

I'm *trying* to just let it be since the world will still go around LOL