Friday, April 4, 2008

The ironies of my pregancies

I’m just puzzled how there are so many ironies with my pregnancies (including my first pregnancy with the girl). I mean, I don’t hear these from my sister with her 2 pregnancies nor with my cousin with her 3 pregnancies nor with my mom and her 3 pregnancies. Am I normal?

I’m really tired, extremely tired. And yet I can’t sleep well. I’m also a light sleeper normally so when I’m dead tired at night but have to wake up to pee, I just can’t go back to sleep. It takes me forever to go back to sleep and of course, I’m not getting the right amount of sleep that I should. So, this will affect the rest of my day.

I just don’t understand why do I have to pee so much. I also can’t drink much ever since I got pregnant. Water taste funny to me so I’ve been drinking cordial stuff or honey just to get my daily liquid but I’m not drinking as much as I should coz you can’t just force down something you don’t like. So it’s really interesting to know that I pee so much more even though I drink so much lesser.

And this also leads to my constipation. It hurts to poo now but I got no choice but to suffer in silence. I cant really drink much of prune juice either coz it taste funny after a while. So I try to compensate this with high fiber food or fruits but it doesn’t really have that much effect coz I also can’t eat too much of these at one go.

I’ve been having backaches too and my Obgyn suggested I take calcium pills and I immediately said no as I had a bad experience with this when I was pregnant with the girl. My stools after that was rock solid and I ain’t going to go through this anymore. So I’ve resorted to taking milk now and this, I have to force myself to drink. I wish the milkshakes at McD’s are not so fattening! And I did try other low-fat ones, I can’t stand the taste!

And speaking about eating, I also can’t eat right anymore. I can’t take seafood, including fish but I can with ikan bilis (dried anchovies) and I will usually take this to add to my calcium intake. I can’t stand mushrooms, durians and certain type of veggies but I love bitter gourd and petai. I can’t really eat chocolate anymore although I like McD’s chocolate milkshake. Poor hubby got me Godiva chocs again from one of his trips and I tried one and I didn’t enjoy it at all. Told him I will try again in my 2nd trimester and hopefully I can eat them then.

My inlaws are in town and they were cooking last night. I told them not to cook so much as I can’t really eat much these days. I only managed to eat an egg dish of theirs as I couldn’t stomach the fish, prawns and mushroom soup they also made. My FIL wanted to cook other stuff for me and I said no need as I was afraid my dinner may come out later. He also asked what I like to eat and he will cook for me while they are here and I said it’s ok as I don’t really know what I want to eat either. The thought of food makes me sick but I do get hungry a lot of the time and I will resort to eating dry crackers so that I don’t puke.

And speaking about puking, I thought I was lucky to get away with literary morning sickness initially. Boy, was I wrong. In the past 1 week, I also puked out my dinner 3 times and I totally hate it. Usually, my morning sickness is always liquid as I don’t take my breakfast immediately when I wake up and this is fine. But with those 3 times of night sickness with my dinner was utterly horrendous!

Ok, I’m going into details here and I’m sorry if you also get disgusted. You can stop reading here if you want to. ;)

To those mothers out there who have not experienced what I have, consider yourself darn lucky! And I know there are women who have it worst off than I am now and I am considering myself lucky too. Anyway, when you have morning, day or night sickness, it’s not so much about vomiting everything at one go. It comes in stages and will vary from anything within a minute or several minutes. If you think, the first “output” is it, think again, there is probably another 3-10 times more after the 1st one and you need to stay put at the toilet bowl until you don’t feel the need to gag anymore.

With Rye Li, I only had one episode where I did puke out food and it was in a small amount and that itself was nasty. Now, with Baby 2, the 4 times I puked out my dinner, it felt as if I had several small rats stuck in my throat!

*pause* [had to stop typing as I just had my morning sickness! IRONIC eh?! I’m guessing the thought of me puking also got to me! ;)]

One of the nights, we had pizza for dinner and I puked all of that out. Hubby asked me if I wanted some more since we had leftovers and I just gave him that stare. Men! And this is the other thing too, if you just puked out whatever you just ate, the last thing you want to eat is the same food again!

I’ve been asked a few times so far whether I want a boy this time. I really don’t care coz I know I definitely want another girl so if Baby 2 is a boy, most likely there will also be a 3rd attempt for Baby 3. But I told hubby the other day, if Baby 2 is a girl, I will ‘close shop’ for sure and his reply was “what is wrong with 3 girls!”. Oh well, we shall just see-la.

Here’s my 9 weeks update from Baby Centre:-

If extreme mood swings leave you feeling like a drama queen this week, you're not alone. Hormonal fluctuations are treating your emotions like a yo-yo now. One minute you feel weepy and the next you're laughing harder than you've ever laughed before. Take comfort in knowing that those same volatile hormones are helping your baby grow. In fact, this week marks the first time your baby looks almost human. He has all the standard body parts in place now — though they're not yet formed to perfection.
Maybe no thanks to this hormonal fluctuations I'm feeling this way too. I was an emotional wreck last week and I felt as if I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I really need to find ways to relax but I have to admit that I'm also going through a "Nesting" syndrome now. My house has always been messy and this never got to me till now. I really can't stand the mess lately and it doesn't help that I'm also too tired to clean up the bulk of the mess (yea, excuses!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all these puking, it's best to eat something light and bland. Hang in there, woman!

KittyCat said...

Hey...I think I pulled through with Jacob's cream crackers and other such boring stuff. After a while, the doctor will just go with whatever you can keep down. Keep your chin up ok? Catch ya online soon...