Saturday, April 19, 2008

3rd checkup

We went in to see my Obgyn for our 3rd checkup and we got to see the full form of Baby 2! I guess with the pressing of the scan on my belly, baby 2 was moving all over, from sideview to frontview and sideview again. We didn't have this with Rye Li during the same time. Because of this, I asked my doc whether we could tell the gender and he said not yet, most likely the next visit.

When baby 2's face was facing front, the hands were also up as if it was waving to us (due to the moving and pressing of the scanner) and hubby was excited by this. In the midst of scanning, Rye Li went "Hello Baby!" which impressed all of us. I actually prepared her for this before the appointment, telling her that we will see baby 2 on the screen and when we do, she has to say hello. I didn't really think that this would work and when she did say it, I just had to praise her.

We actually had the scan printed out but it is not as clear as Rye Li's which so happened hers at 12 weeks happened to be the last scanned picture that we got out of her pregnancy since the rest of the visits will always have her back facing us.

I was comparing Baby 2's size to that of Rye Li's at 12 weeks and a half weeks, well, actually Baby 2 is at 11 and a half weeks now. The measurements are the same but Baby 2's body seems to be bigger while Rye Li's head seems to be bigger. The scanned printed out the week as 12 and half weeks so I'm thinking that Baby 2 is growing faster than Rye Li.
As for my weight, I've only put on slightly over 1kg (2.2 pounds) so far since Day 1 and I'm happy with this coz with Rye Li, I think I was about 3 kgs then. But I'm not celebrating just as yet as who knows, I may put on more later but I'm trying my best to control my weight this time round as I went up to 21kgs with Rye Li. And she was only 2.3 kgs (5 pounds) at birth!

My next check up will be at 14 and a half weeks which is in 3 weeks time. I will be doing the blood test then. Hubby was asking me why I want to test for Down Syndrome for eventhough my doc said from the scan, he is 80% sure that Baby 2 looks normal. I told him that I just need to know and assured him that I will not do an ammio test if needed as I know my decision no matter what the outcome is.

As for my own well-being, I'm happy to report that my morning sickness is fading away. Well, I don't puke daily anymore although I do puke now and then but it is mostly in the mornings now. However, my nausea is still there and the after taste of whatever I eat still remains in my mouth and it's disgusting. I didn't have this with Rye Li at all and the nausea with her only lasted a month. I can't wait for 14 weeks as this would mean I'm officially into the 2nd trimester but I'm not counting on the fact that my morning sickness will go away completely. I was puking all the way to 6 months with Rye Li but at least I didn't feel so bad in the 2nd trimester then.

Here's what Baby Centre has to say about 11 weeks (sorry that I couldn't update last weekend, have been extremely busy at work and I'm thinking constantly all the time whether it's worth going through the stress for money! haha...but cant quit just as yet!):-

Your fetus now looks like a baby, with tiny but fully formed fingers and toes. As his body grows and becomes more developed and functional, he'll start twisting and turning like an acrobat, cushioned and protected by your amniotic fluid. You, on the other hand, are probably feeling less like a gymnast every day. Leg cramps, which can sometimes be a sign of calcium deficiency, and heartburn (caused by pregnancy hormones that relax the valve which separates the oesophagus from the stomach) may be annoying you during the day and keeping you up at night. Just remember, all this suffering is temporary — and it's all in a good cause — you're having a baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2nd babies are always bigger in birth too. Look at Cassie..she's heavier than Belle.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...sounds like a boy to me ;-) Lucas was VERY active in the womb and most of my friends carrying boys reported similar experiences. The bigger body could be an indicator too.

Another old wives' tale is to compare how you look when you were preggy with Rye Li and now - Mums with boys look 'ugly' LOL My friends were kind to say I look 'different' as my face was puffy, my nose was huge etc.

Mums with girls (generally) appear rosier and prettier...